|Join Our Mailing List|
- Open Letter To Congress: Those Who Voted for "No Budget, No Pay"
- Liberty or Security, How Will You Choose?
- Open Letter re: "Gun Legislation"
- Senate Standing Guard
- Obamacare: Who Runs Your Life?
- Immigration: Enforcement Not Reform!
- Letter to Indiana Sen. David C. Long
- He's No JFK!
- DOJ: It's OK for the Govt. To Kill Citizens, Trust Us!
- Full Analysis of DOJ Authority to Assissinate US Citizens
- Letter To TX AG Greg Abbott
- Federal Census: Not Just Intrusive: UNCONSTITUTIONAL!
- How The Constitution Ended Slavery
- Nullification and What They're Not Telling You
- No Budget, No Pay, No Honor
- Shall Not Be Infringed?
- Obamacare-We Have No Choice? A Letter to Your Representative
- Brother Can You Spare A Dime?
- Peace on Earth? Good Will Toward Men?
- Patriot or Politician?
- Florida Senate President Calls for Hangings
- Time to Stand Against Tyranny- E-Rally Notice
- Open Letter to the States to Stand Against Obamacare
- Nullification, the Duty and Right of the States-Pt. 2
- Nullification: The Duty and Right of the States-Pt. 1
- 2nd Amendment for Dummies and Tyrants
- A Hertitage Worthy of Thanks
- The Price of Hope: Life, Fortune, Sacred Honor
- Proof!: DOJ Busy Destroying the 2nd Amend & Arming Terrorists!
- Full Analysis of ATF Form 4473 2012
- What is the Proper Role of Government? They Don't Have A Clue!
- War On Women, Acting Like Children
- Article II Section 4: The Impeachment of Eric Holder
- Celebrating Liberty
- Amendment 8, Trusting Government Over God
- Why The UN Arms Trade Treaty Violates The Constitution
- Second Amendment and UN Arms Treaty
- Religious Liberty in America (Video)
- Disclose Act (s. 3369) Destroying the First Amendment
- If I Were An Enemy of Liberty
- Justice Roberts Gives Some Good Advice
- Arizona Immigration Ruling~Direct Assault on State Sovereignty
- Standing Strong Means Standing Together
- The First Amendment; The Future of Liberty
- UN Treaty, Sea Treaty, Gun Treaty…What Are We to Do?
- Memorial Day: A Patriot's Call
- Congress Seeks To Establish Ministry of Truth!
- Executive Orders And The New American Sovyet
- This Is Why I Teach, This Is Why I Fight!
- The "General Welfare" Clause, Justification for Obamacare?
- Senate Bill 1813: Power to Confiscate Your Proof of Citizenship
- There Are Some Things Caesar Cannot Have
- The Taxation That Our Founders Hated
- Exclusive: Secret Group Helping Obama Destroy the Constitution
- NDAA Legal Analysis (Video)
- Real Women Worthy of International Recognition
- HR 347/S1794: A Trespass on the First Amendment
- Obama’s Attack on the Church – The Mark of a Tyrant
- Justice Ginsburg Violates Her Oath
- Expatriation - No Citizenship, No Constitutional Rights
- Can We Legislate Morality?
- Will a Spineless Congress Allow More Obama Lawlessness?
- The Inalienable Right to Life
- Ignorant Judges are Lethal to Liberty
- Yes Patriot, There is Hope for America - Merry Christmas
- No More Lies, Just Liberty! (NDAA)
- Predator Drone Used in Arrest of Farmer
- SB1867 Revisited (NDAA)
- In Context: Separation of Church and State
- Congress Decides Constitution is a Threat to National Security (NDAA)
- Giving Thanks for America
- The Divine Right of Obama
- The Death of a Terrorist
- Should US Citizens Have Miranda Rights?
- Conservative Republican? Really?
- 21st Century Slavery
- Rubio Against Lawlessness
- Heroines of the New Revolution
- U.N. Aquires More of the Everglades
- DOE Subverting First Amendment
- Florida's Sovereignty Eroded
- The Term Limits We Need!
- Stolen Education, Stolen Children, Stolen Future
- The Threat of Foreign Law
- More Victims in the Casey Anthony Trial?
- Impeach! Now!
- Do your Job, Congress! July 9, 2011
- Regulatory Power v. State Rights
- The Real Origin of the Tea Party Movement
- Stamp Act Resurrected
- We the People Must Inform Ourselves
|The "General Welfare" Clause, Justification for Obamacare?||| Print ||
by KrisAnne Hall http://www.KrisAnneHall.com
May 2, 2012
The federal government has assumed great responsibility to tax and provide for our citizens under the interpreted authority of the general welfare clause in the Constitution. Our Departments of Transportation, Education, Agriculture, and Interior are all justified by the general welfare clause. Most recently one of the main justifications of the Healthcare Act is that Congress has authority to create such a law because of the general welfare clause. But how Constitutional is this assumed authority? What would our founders say about this current view of federal power?
Since James Madison is called the Father of our Constitution, it makes sense that we would look to him for clarification on this point. Madison discussed this very issue in an argument he was making against subsidizing a cod fisherman in 1792.
Madison was very simply explaining that the clause “common defense and general welfare” was not meant to expand the power of the government beyond its limitations, but to describe the purpose of the power delegated within strict confinement of those boundaries. How we have flipped this nation on its head! We have allowed our government to take the description of the purpose of its power and turn it into its very power. This aberration of our founder’s intent is not without consequence. We cannot have it both ways; it is either a limited government or one completely without limits.
It is clear that the framers purposefully and intentionally created a federal government that was to be limited in power and scope. Extremely limited.
Simply speaking, if it is not war, peace, negotiations and foreign commerce, the federal government is not supposed to be involved in it. Period. And, further explanation will show, that they are not even supposed to have the power to tax and subsidize, unless it is attached to those four things. Madison knew such misinterpretations would unleash Pandora’s Box.
Although our founders may not have known about all our great technological advancements and the needs of our modern day society, they knew that human nature remains the same. They did not have to know where we would end up, because they knew where they had come from.
With astounding foresight Madison describes what an America, that ignores and distorts Constitutional meaning would look like.
Madison and the framers knew that if the government would become more than they had intended, it would control the very lives of the people and we would be reduced to “tributary slaves.” The current use of the general welfare clause, outside of the intent of our founders, is unconstitutional and it will create slaves of freemen. It is irrelevant how any modern court has determined otherwise. If the courts have failed to follow the direction of the drafters of this contract, they have failed to follow fundamental principles of law and their decisions are void of authority. The truth is, night has fallen on the garden of America, and we have been betrayed by a kiss.
However, all is not lost, the solutions to our current crisis lie within their warnings. We must, as Thomas Jefferson alluded, become attentive to the public affairs.
We must reengage ourselves, not simply as watchers and commentators, but as doers of the word as well. We must hold all accountable regardless of the sweetness of their “kiss.” We must be willing to sacrifice and restore a standard of excellence for our representatives. Too long we have said that the best candidate is the one that is simply better than the other guy. We must believe that the ONLY candidate is the one who will stand, with integrity, for the Constitution and the principles of Liberty for which our founders died for.
We must work to restore the limitations of government. The breach of these boundaries are the source of the corruption, as told by the warning, now prophecy, of John Adams in his inaugural address of 1797.
Until we force our current government to work within the boundaries set by our founders: war, peace, negotiations, and foreign commerce, we will suffer all of the corruption the Adams foresaw. We have to be an engaged citizen government that says the limitations are more than just recommendations, our recommendations are more than just rhetoric, and separation of powers must be viciously protected by all parties! This is the disease of our nation and we must cure the disease or it will be the death of Liberty.
The gentle kiss of a promise of peace and prosperity as provided by the all-powerful, all-knowing federal government has deceived us. We have allowed the powers of the federal government to expand far beyond what our founders intended, to the point that their warnings have become prophecy. We cannot allow this to continue. For the sake of our children, we must reign in this unconstitutional proclamation of power. We must once again hear the warnings of our founders and heed them, or suffer the inevitable consequences.